I am working on a longer term project that I hope to work on throughout this class. I wish to make an AR experience that shows the natural history of Manhattan and surrounding New York through the lenses of HMDs and smart phones and tablets. This is my first exploration into the project:
I found a free online model of a Native American (there are many different kinds, I’m aware), who, for now, will take the place of “Manhattoes”, the name of the three or four hundred Native Americans that lived on the island of Manhattan. Here, he is walking in front of NYU. I hope to find where they used to take residence on the island, and place them their using coordinates and GPS data. I hope to treat the rest of the subjects in a similar way. I will go as far back as when Manhattan island had dinosaurs, of which, after some research, there were only a few kinds: the grallator and the coelophysis:
I am representing them now where they were once known to roam. In this instance, for dramatic effect, I am showing these “wild” dinosaurs, roaming the streets of Time Square, along with hundreds of tourists.
I will do the same with the American Mastodon, shown here roaming Central Park.
Some practical issues: the asset downloaded from the Unity asset marketplace came included with texture maps, but the others find elsewhere, in a different file format converted to OBJ, were missing their textures. I wonder if there is a way to convert these models without losing their coloring? Also, I am curious to learn how, and with what programs, it will be possible to “plant” life size 3D models into the “wild” so that they may be discoverable by apps that are downloaded to smartphones?
I look forward to it!
Week 1’s assignment was a challenge as I had never done projection mapping before. It was really helpful for me, therefore, to pair up with two second years that did. When looking through the room, we had a few ideas for projection mapping. Maybe we’d have a rat run across the pipes at the ceiling of the class. Or we’d make the clock interactive. But finally, we noticed the map of America and thought it was a good opportunity to make commentary on the state of the union right now. And so we decided to show it blowing up! We first got the image of the wall, we cut out just the part where the map was, put it into after effects, and used that part of the image as a mask. We then hooked it up to a projector with MadMapper and got to aligning it with the actual map on the wall. The project, in my opinion, was a little lackluster, especially given how much time it took, but I think it definitely opened my mind to some other possibilities.